Learn How to Prevent Gum Disease and Keep Your Smile for Life
Gum disease is caused by a buildup of sticky, bacteria-laden plaque that develops after you eat and becomes trapped between your teeth and gums. A mild and early case of gum disease is known as gingivitis. As your immune system reacts by inflaming vulnerable tissues, your gums pull away from your teeth, and deep, infection-filled pockets form. Eventually, your teeth may become loose and fall out from the more severe form of gum disease called periodontitis. Periodontal disease also has implications for your general health. Studies have linked it to heart disease, diabetes, and other serious medical problems. Fortunately, with care, gum disease can be avoided.
How to Prevent Gum Disease
- Risk factors for gingivitis and periodontitis include tobacco use, age, poor diet and genetic tendencies. While you can’t eliminate all risk, you can reduce your chances of developing gum disease by living a healthier lifestyle. Discuss your risk factors with your dentist or periodontist.
- Be sure to brush your teeth at least twice every day or after each meal if possible. Brushing after eating removes food particles and plaque that become trapped between your teeth and in the crevices of chewing surfaces. Don’t forget to brush your tongue as well; its surface is a great place for bacteria to hide.
- Clean between your teeth using dental floss at least once every day. Your toothbrush can’t reach all of the plaque and food debris trapped between your teeth and along your gum line.
- Rinse with mouthwash after brushing. It will help kill bacteria and flush away any food particles left behind.
- Have a comprehensive periodontal evaluation annually. This advanced examination inspects your teeth, gums, bone structure, and plaque levels for identifiable risk factors and early signs of infection and inflammation. Identifying problems at an early stage can prevent gingivitis from advancing to severe periodontitis and tooth loss.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Kennesaw, call Dental One Associates of Kennesaw today at (404) 381-1480 or make an appointment.
Dental One Associates offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Kennesaw. With 8 affiliated practices throughout Georgia, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Dental One Associates of Kennesaw, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Dental One Associates of Kennesaw.